Under this category, foreign nationals must meet the minimum requirements by having skilled work experience, demonstrating a certain proficiency in the English or French language, and showing completion of an educational degree, certificate, or diploma.

  1. Skilled Work Experience 

What is eligible skilled work experience? 

You must have: 

  • at least 1 year of continuous skilled work experience in Canada or abroad (full-time or equivalent in part-time) within the last 10 years 

  • worked in 1 occupation classified as a TEER 0,1, 2, or 3-level position 

  • performed the duties listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system

  • been paid work for the skilled work experience

What is considered full-time or part-time skilled work experience? 

1 year of full-time work experience is equivalent to 1,560 hours, which would equate to 30 hours per week for 12 months. An equal amount of part-time would be 15 hours per week over a 24-month period. Multiple part-time jobs are permissible. IRCC does not count any hours above 30 hours per week.  

Can work experience gained while studying count?

Yes, work experience accumulated during an applicant’s educational studies can be used if they are paid and continuous. 

  1. Language Ability

Minimum language skills for the corresponding work experience

Applicants with TEER 0,1,2, or 3 work experience must have the following language scores:

Language AbilityScores
Speaking and Listeningat least a CLB 5 or NCLC 5
Reading and Writingat least a CLB 4 or NCLC 4


  1. Education

Candidates must have at least a Canadian secondary institution certificate, diploma, or degree or an equivalent foreign educational credential. For a foreign educational degree to be utilized for EE, it has to be assessed by one of the following Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) organizations and be determined to be equivalent to a Canadian degree:

  • Comparative Education Service - University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies

  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada

  • World Education Services

  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

  • International Credential Evaluation Service - British Columbia Institute of Technology

How long is the ECA valid for?

ECAs are valid for 5 years.  They must be valid when the EE profile has been submitted and when applying for permanent residency.

SELECTION FACTORS- Additional Eligibility Requirement

After meeting the minimum requirements, applicants are assessed and awarded points according to their age, education, work experience, the existence of a valid job offer, language skills, and adaptability, to determine their eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker program. The maximum points awarded is 100 and applicants must receive at least 67 to be included in this program. These points are different from the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) scores,  which are assigned once in the EE pool. 

Express Entry - AKM Law - Toronto Immigration Law Firm
Express Entry | AKM Law | Toronto Immigration Law Firm

Address1 Yonge Street, Suite 1507 Toronto, Ontario M5E1E5