Under this category, foreign nationals must meet the minimum requirements by having Canadian skilled work experience and demonstrating a certain proficiency in the English or French language.

  1. Skilled Work Experience 

What is eligible Canadian skilled work experience? 

You must have: 

  • at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada (full-time or equivalent in part-time) within the last 3 years

  • gained experience while working in Canada on valid status and authorization

  • worked in 1 or more occupations classified as a TEER 0,1, 2, or 3-level position 

  • performed the duties listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system

  • been paid work for the skilled work experience 

What is considered full-time or part-time skilled work experience? 

1 year of full-time work experience is equivalent to 1,560 hours, which would equate to 30 hours per week for 12 months. An equal amount of part-time would be 15 hours per week over a 24-month period. Multiple part-time jobs are permissible. IRCC does not count any hours above 30 hours per week.  

Who is not eligible for this category? 

Individuals who obtained Canadian skilled work experience as a refugee claimant or worked without authorization, cannot apply. Furthermore, foreign nationals cannot use Canadian work experience gained during full-time studies, work placement or self-employment. 

Current public policies in effect

On April 25, 2023, the Government of Canada introduced the ‘Temporary public policy to facilitate the issuance of permanent resident visas for physicians providing publicly funded medical services in Canada’. The policy will remain in effect until revoked by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration. This policy provides an exemption for foreign national physicians, who are considered self-employed, to utilize their work experience and to apply under the Canadian Experience Class program. 

  1. Language Ability

Which language tests can be used?

Applicants must have a valid English and or French test from the following organizations to show their language ability:

  • CELPIP (Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program)- General Test

  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System)- General Test

  • TEF Canada (Test d’évaluation de français)

  • TCF Canada (Test de connaissance du français)

All three programs under EE accept the above language tests. 

Validity of language tests

The language tests must be taken within two years of submitting a profile into the EE pool and must be valid at the time of the submission of the permanent residence application. This is applicable to all three programs under EE. 

Minimum language skills for the corresponding work experience

For TEER 0 or 1 occupations, applicants must have a minimum CLB level of 7 (English) or an NCLC of 7 (French) in each of the four language abilities (writing, speaking, listening, and reading). Applicants with work experience in TEER 2 or 3 occupations, must demonstrate a minimum of CLB level of 5 or NCLC of 5 for each ability. 

Express Entry - AKM Law - Toronto Immigration Law Firm
Express Entry | AKM Law | Toronto Immigration Law Firm

Address1 Yonge Street, Suite 1507 Toronto, Ontario M5E1E5