Under this category, foreign nationals must meet the minimum requirements by having skilled trades work experience, having a job offer or certificate of qualification, and demonstrating a certain proficiency in the English or French language.

  1. Skilled Work Experience 

What is eligible skilled trades work experience? 

You must have: 

  • at least 2 years of skilled trades work experience (full-time or equivalent in part-time) in a specific TEER 2 or 3 occupation within the last 5 years

  • met the job requirements as set out in the NOC

  • performed the duties listed in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system

  • been paid for the skilled work experience 

  • been qualified to independently practise the trade occupation

What is considered full-time or part-time skilled work experience? 

1 year of full-time work experience is equivalent to 1,560 hours, which would equate to 30 hours per week for 12 months. An equal amount of part-time would be 15 hours per week over a 24-month period. Multiple part-time jobs are permissible. IRCC does not count any hours above 30 hours per week.  

  1. Job Offer or Certificate Of Qualification

The applicant must have a valid full-time job offer, meeting IRCC’s requirements, for at least 1 year or a certificate of qualification in the skilled trade, issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.  

  1. Language Ability

Minimum language skills for the corresponding work experience

Applicants with specific TEER 2 or 3 skilled trades experience must have the following language scores:

Language AbilityScore
Speaking and Listeningat least a CLB 5 or NCLC 5
Reading and Writingat least a CLB 4 or NCLC 4



For all three programs under EE, the assessing office will also need to determine whether an applicant and their dependents are admissible into Canada and whether they are entitled to PR through EE based on their intended place of residence. EE immigration is intended for candidates who have intentions to reside in a Canadian province other than Quebec. 

The following grounds can render a foreign national inadmissible to Canada and be reason for a refusal of their permanent residency application:

  • Security grounds 

  • Human or international rights violations 

  • Sanctions 

  • Serious criminality 

  • Criminality

  • Organized criminality

  • Health grounds

  • Financials

  • Misrepresentation

  • Cessation of refugee protection

  • Non-compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (S.C. 2001, c. 27)

  • Inadmissible family member

For the Federal Skilled Worker and Federal Skilled Trades programs, applicants have to show that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and any dependent family members. Even if the family member is not an accompanying dependent on the EE application, they have to be included in the calculation for minimum funds for their family unit. A dependent can be a spouse, common law partner, or children under 22 years of age. 

As of April 25, 2023, the following funds are required. 

Number of family members

Funds required (in Canadian dollars)

If more than 7 people, for each additional family member




EE candidates can increase their CRS points by improving their language skills, obtaining an ECA for foreign degrees, completing a higher educational degree, acquiring more skilled work experience, obtaining a valid job offer or acquiring a provincial nomination. A valid job offer can either add 50 or 200 CRS points and a provincial nomination can add 600 points to your profile. 


If you are currently in or outside of Canada and are interested in immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident through EE, please do not hesitate to contact AKM Law. Even if this is your first time applying for permanent residency, have previously been refused, or have had an application returned under EE, we have the knowledge and ability to assist you. Our firm is comprised of experienced immigration lawyers and support staff, who have helped many individuals like yourself to acquire permanent residency through EE. Contact us now to discuss your eligibility under EE.

Express Entry - AKM Law - Toronto Immigration Law Firm
Express Entry | AKM Law | Toronto Immigration Law Firm

Address1 Yonge Street, Suite 1507 Toronto, Ontario M5E1E5